We have some custom installs that we do and we're not trying to find the
 best way to version control our distro tree so others can work on it.  I
 figured Red Hat has this all worked out so why not ask there.

 Thing with CVS is that it's silly about renaming files, which would happen
 if someone updated the release version of an rpm.  I now suspect this is
 why come red hat variant distro's have stripped the version and release
 for their file names, which is lame if you ask me.

 Thanks
 -jeremy