"Fritz Thomas (VTG)" wrote:

> > > If yes, where can I obtain these scripts?
> >
> > Use vi[m] - it can be used to create all sorts of things, including
> > shell scripts :-)  You could create, say, /etc/rc.d/rc.ipv6 and call
> > it from /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>
> I know. But I'd prefer having extended
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/if[up|down]* scripts,
> where I can put the IPv6 configstuff in ifcfg-eth*.
> Maybe Redhat already has such initscripts (or someone else).
> Otherwise I extend the scripts by myself.

Hey, this sounds good -- initscripts can be set up so that:
 if if{up,down}-iface exists, just execute this
 but if ifcfg-iface exists, do as usual
This is something like if{up,down}-ppp (ppp is interface _type_,
but this can be extended to interface, not just type)
And set up linuxconf etc so that it will not allow editing of
ifcfg-xxx if ifup-xxx exists (maybe bring text editor with that file)

And another two issues about networking config, both around one problem.
If I have, say, eth0, eth1 and eth2, and configure eth1 to not start at boot
(say, all ifaces are on different nic types, so that loading one driver
brings up only one iface), I will have eth0 (ok) and unconfigored eth1
(it will attempt to configure eth2, but driver will register eth1 instead
(next available number), and all commands will fail with "no such interface").
Another thing is that interfaces can have any name (see ip link name for ex.).
This is very useful -- I can name ifaces, say, "ext" for external ip link,
"dmz", "good" (see Rusty :), and can easily switch amongth cards, backup links
etc without changing configs...  Just name "ext" to be eth3 (e.g) or ppp0.