I had a little trouble with this myself.  I tracked down the (problem??) to
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession.  ~/.xsession is supposed to be executed upon startup
of X from xdm (or kdm), but it is not unless to choose default.  The default
option falls through the case statement and then executes ~/.xsession.
So just copy /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession to ~/.xsession and edit as necessary, then
choose default from the KDM login screen or edit ~/.wmrc and replace text
with default.  Here is a copy of mine:

#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.4 91/08/22 11:41:34 rws Exp $

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi