Is it possible to establish more than one ppp connection
at a time (as client)?

I tried to configure ppp0 and ppp1, but if I /sbin/ifup ppp1,
it brings me ppp0 using ppp1's parameters.
But when I dial ppp0, it says:
 pppd[2427]: tcsetattr: Invalid argument
 pppd[2427]: Exit.

I know the way -- start ppp0 first and ppp1 after.
But this is impossible for me, as that both should be
able to start at "random" times. (I really have a need
to control about 5 such connections using different modems).

I tried to name them another way (pppSOMETHING), but this
also does not work.

I know a way to do what I need (particularily, using ip
utility to change interface name), but this is tricky and
not available using RH's initscripts.

Also, is there any way to assign the first available modem
device for next connection for pppd?  I have four modems
(this should increase) on rocketport, and already have
five ppp links (from that only four can be active at the
same time, 'course!)...
(This is like for uucp -- it can use the first available
port.)

Thanks.
  Michael.