Hi Tony

> > I don't think I have missed anything unless you can spot it!!
>
> No.  RTFM, there are some misconceptions about the "VirtualHost"
> directive.  You need to do it like this:
>
> NameVirtualHost 194.70.240.235

I used linuxconf to setup the VH and checked the config with
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Virtual-Services-HOWTO-8.html

However I have taken your point on board after reading
http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/index.html and changed the VH to ip
numbers.

> If it is a multi-homed box, then two NameVirtualHost directives are
> needed for each IP, with the DNS to be pointing to them both for the
> virtual host/domain names.  Then you need to make <VirtualHost
> 194...> entries for each IP with each virtual domains.

Yes, it is/will be multihomed. Forgive my ignorance, but I am not sure
what you mean by 'two NameVirtualHost directives are needed for each IP'.
Why two?

On reading http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/index.html, there are many
references to CNAMEs. I am using A records in my zone files and have also
aliased my hostname in linuxconf ->client tasks ->basic host info ->eth1.
Is CNAME a better method??

> BTW, why don't you use an A record in the DNS for the domain name
> that points to your web server?  For example...

Thanks for this tip.

Best regards, Brian