On 10/06/00 at 15:31 marco presi wrote:

>Dear All,
>I found a little big problem in using LILO as boot-loader.
>When I turn on my pc, if (at LILO prompt) I write
>
><label> single
>
>(where <label> is one of the labels defined in my lilo.conf) a minimal
>kernel is loaded, the system starts without asking password and I am able
>to change the Root password without insert old one: I am free to enter
>the system with Root privileges without control...
>
>What about it?

This is the way it is on all boxes, the thinking is that a server should be
physically be locked away........this does not cover desktops, so you will
need to add the password option in lilo if it bothers you, I can think of
other  ways to lock the box as well, one other simple way would be to put a
password in the BIOS and controll who can restart/shutdown, but you still
have that physivcal thing where someone could open the box.

Regards

Greg Wright
--

IT Consultant Sydney Australia     PH 0418 292020
Available for Global Contracts   Int. +61 418 292020