> On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, John Summerfield wrote:
>

> > One of the great weaknesses of Linux is the need to be root to do so many
> > different things. Being root, one CAN do so many things...
> >

> Do you mean that Linux is more affected by this than any other flavor of
> UNIX?  Can you please provide more information on that?  Why not use sudo?
1       I don't know about rea; unixes.
2       sudo may help; I've not used it. It's not needed  for a one-person
system. However, my background is in large IBM mainframes & I have had a
few years to think about it.

> Sorry if this sounds stupid, it's only that your comments were sort of
> confusing in this sense.

On Standard RHL, one has to be root to create a user.
Being root, one can also read/write any file on the system, install new
software, reconfigure sendmail.

As a professional maintaining Linux systems, I'd not want this.

If sudo allows me to partition these responsibilities and delegate them to
separate areas, then it probably fixes the problem.

PAM is not the right way to go; programs should not have to have this kind
of security built into them.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield