I upgraded from the previous kernel (2.2.14-something or other) and used
my old .config file, and patched it up using "make menuconfig".  My
machine (an old Pentium) has a SoundBlaster Pro with the attached CD-ROM
drive.  It used to work fine.  But under 2.2.16-3, the kernel can't find
it!

If I try to mount a CD-ROM, I get

mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
        (maybe 'insmod driver'?)

SBPCD support is compiled into the kernel directly, not as a module, in
my build.  But the module version makes the same complaint.

And cdparanoia can't find the drive any more.

Did anything change w.r.t. SBPCD handling in the last kernel change?
Did I make a dumbass mistake?  Any advice on how to approach debugging
this?

Steven Boswell