I have been noticing broken case sensitive sorting in recent mc and
textutils upgrades.

When I went from mc-4.5.42 in the 6.2 distribution to the last two
(4.5.50 & 4.5.51) versions from ftp.gnome.org, the case sensitive
directory sort order was broken.  Now I have noticed the same problem
when the sort command when upgrading from textutils-2.0a-2 from the
6.2 distribution to textutils-2.0e-6 from the 6.2 updates.

I have narrowed the problem down to NLS/LOCALE/glibc and not the
packages themselves.  In mc, the change that caused the broken
behavior was switching a call to strcmp() to the LOCALE aware
counterpart strcoll().  In textutils, the cause is ENABLE_NLS
and hard_LC_COLLATE being set which causes a call to memcoll() as
opposed to memcmp().

Using mc directory listings as an example, below is the differences
in behavior.

Using strcoll()
all directories
All Files

Using strcmp()
Uppercase Directories
lowercase Directories
Uppercase .Files
lowercase .files
Uppercase Regular Files
lowercase regular files

Since I am not familiar with the workings of LOCALE and NLS,
hopefully someone here is and can explain how to restore case
sensitive sorting without having to disable NLS capabilities.

Regards,
Jarrod Kinsley