> > Why don't you stop mucking around and tell us WHERE
> > it's documented?
>
> Okay lets play nice. The best form of documentation is
> the source code, it never lies.

but is readily misunderstood by those not fully conversant with the language.

Source code is NEVER user documentation. Even technically-competent users need
good user documentation.

We have layers, judges and courts, in part, to tell us what the law means. We
sometimes find that even the politicians and draftsmen who draw up the bills
and pass them into legislation don't understand the laws.

In like manner, we need good, accurate, well-organised use documentation to
tell us what programs do, and how we should use them.

I could indeed examine the source code, and I may well discover the answers to
my questions. I might misunderstand some essential point. I will certainly
take longer to learn a program that way than it would take the programs'
authors to create good documentation in the first place.

Poor documentation is like a bug; a few minutes/hours "saved" by the developer
costs thousanda, likely millions of users on Linux and Windows platforms, a
few minutes or hours EACH in lost time and productivity.