> Absolutely.  That is why I recommend _against_ doing
> carte
> blanche search and replace
> 's/[Rr]ed.*[Hh]at/whatever/g' on
> things.  There is no point other than to try and
> strip Red Hat of
> credit due, and in the process destroy copyright
> notices, and
> set one's self up for possible legal trouble and an
> angry Linux
> community.  (See LinuxONE for a perfect example..)

I agree 100%. I had no intention of replacing there
name with my dist name everywhere. I am only
interested in changing it where it pops up like when
you log on and also in the boot sequence, and in a few
other places. Most of the packages are downloaded off
the net (ie created either by Redhat or others). I
have no intention of defacing packages to make it look
like I created them. At the present time what I am
working on is mostly a patch work dist which contains
alot of updates and some packages have been removed
which I don't use, I've also made slight changes to a
couple of the scripts in the initscripts package. I
don't plan at the moment to distribute this on the
internet, its just for me at the moment. But I don't
want to accidentally change something that will make
me look bad later on down the road if I deside to make
the dist available for download.

> really just Red Hat renamed (like Mandrake was
> originally) is
> just bad taste IMHO.

I agree 100%!

Thanks,