On Fri, 01 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> When I fork() inside a program, the PID of the child is
> incremented by two.  Very odd.  The system has zero activity on
> it, and I can repeatedly get the same result.  The program works
> however, it just seems odd to me that the parent's PID is say
> 500, and an immediate fork() gives the child a PID of 502.  In
> looking at other programs running in the system, they appear to
> increment by one.
>
> Just an oddity I thought perhaps someone could describe for me...

Mike,

I found this weird as well.  (although we should be talking about this on
comp.os.unix.*, but who cares...)  I believe the system goes through a
fork/thread manager.  When that happens it takes the 501 slot.  After all the
kids have been spawned, then it says, " all is well " , and then croaks.
Therefore, an empty spot in between will occur.

If this is wrong, let me know.

Thanks
Jeff

--
Thinks't thou existence doth depend on time?
It doth; but actions are our epochs; mine