On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Mikael Aronsson wrote:

>What is the best way to detect the number of CPU's ?, I guess I
>could look in /proc/cpuinfo, but is there a better more
>portable way to do it ?

I don't believe so.  /proc/cpuinfo is there for that purpose.
It'd be nice if Linux got a binary interface to the data proc
provides but I doubt it will ever happen as Linus is very much
against it saying it is anti-unix-philosophy where everything is
a file that can be modified by shell scripts easily.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

"A Firewall is really much like a sophisticated traffic cop; it detects and
stops unauthorized or suspicious movement in or out of the network. But
security is more than a Firewall; it's a process. You can't just put in a
Firewall and think you're secure."