On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 08:21:23PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Sat 09 Sep at 23:38:53 +0200 [EMAIL PROTECTED] done said:
> >
> > Being able to distinguish an elephant fro a sparrow is possibly the
> > skill who is the hardest to acquire for a hunter.  Hint: if it is
> > small and has wings then it is a sparrow, if it is big, grey and has
> > a trunk then it is an elephant.  :-)
> >
> > For command line versus GUI a practical thumb is what is faster.  Look
> > at my previous message for examples where using a GUI is definitely
> > faster than using command line.  Even when the GUI provides only
> > minimal functionality like in Glint and Gnorpm and the user has been
> > using  RPM since its inception in 1995.
> >
> > --
> >                     Jean Francois Martinez
>
> I agree and most GUI's designed right you can begin doing things immediately,
> without having to read man pages. GUI's HAVE their place.

I think people are forgetting what glint was like.  While the
statement above about well designed GUI tools may be absolutely right.
It certainly does not apply to glint.   The reason I tried to learn
command line rpm was because glint was `hard' to use.  I found the
basic rpm commands in my install manual (4.2) to be easier and
faster.

Remember it wasn't until 6.0 or so that you could easily install and
have X working.  I had a hell of a time getting X up back in 4.2
install days.  Rendering glint completely beside the point.

When I did get X running, as a very new user, I found glint to be hard
to use, very slow and tedious too.  I screwed up lots of stuff using
glint before I finally pitched it.

Even in present conditions, I would hazard a guess that a truly new
user would play hell understanding and using glint.