On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Harry Putnam wrote:

>Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 06:30:54 -0700
>From: Harry Putnam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: Urgent ! denial of Service Attack
>
>On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 05:52:28AM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Alvin Starr wrote:
>> You can use "netstat -plut" to list listening ports for
>> tcp/udp and which pid/process in the system owns it as well..
>
>netstat -plut doesn't list the program using the port or the foreign
>address.  In fact it doesn't even show some processes.  An example
>here is starting netscape on home page `www.google' .  It doesn't show
>up in netstat -plut at all.  However netstat -antp shows:
>
>netstat -antp |grep netscape:
>
>tcp        1      0 my.isp.address:1150     64.208.32.100:80
>CLOSE_WAIT  22565/netscape-comm
>
>Where as
>netstat -plut| grep 22565:
>(no hits)
>
>No doubt there is good reason for this but I find netstat -antp to
>give more usefull info more often.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were wanting to see..

netstat -plut displays:

-l      listening processes (servers on this machine)
-u      UDP
-t      TCP
-p      displays the process ID and process name

That is what I thought was wanted.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Capslock Consulting
Linux advocate, Open source advocate | Copyright 2000 all rights reserved

http://www.securityfocus.com