--------
> I built a new version of the kernel under RH6.2, currently running
> 2.2.14-5.0smp. The new version is 2.2.17. Compilation and building of the
> required modules succeeded. lilo.conf has also been updated to reflect the ne
> kernel name. System.map, initrd.x.img, vmlinuz and vmlinux have all been plac
> ed
> in /boot. The one file that has not been able to recreate is /boot/module-inf
> o,
> since I cannot seem to find instructions on this and there are no procedures
> in
> the Makefile.
>
> Following the recommended steps in the README file, plus several other books
> on
> the matter, this kernel halts cold during reboot. "initrd.x.img" is loaded an
> the hardware is scanned normally up to the point where it's ready to mount
> the root partition.
>
> The error message says:
>
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel.
>
> I'd appreciate hearing any suggestions on the matter. Thank you.

I had that very problem yesterday.

Actually, I had another message too; it couldn't mount the root filesystem on 3:45.

Looking at another system, I could not see what device 3:45 might be, and overriding
things my adding "init=/bin/bash" and/or "root=/dev/hda8" (which is correct)

I ried the recovery mode included with the RHL 6.2 CD and found it absolutely useless.
It did not come up with any devices for my disk drives, either in recovery mode or
upgrade mode.

Nor did adding "root=" help - it was competely ignored.

Eventually, I resoed to a floppy I'd made for booting another machine (read elsewhere
about my disk replacement saga) and specified "root=/dev/hda8.' This got me up (but it
couldn't find modules coz it was a different kernel version) but it was enough for me
to rerun lilo.

That's all I had to do - run lilo. The configuration was fine.

The only explanation I have is pretty weak; I ran lilo earlier in the day to update
that self-same disk. I ran it once, and it DID update the disk, as evidenced by the
fact the disk did work.