On Wed Oct 11 2000 at 19:55, Pekka Savola wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:
>
> > This is the stock redhat 2.2.16-3 from the updates rpm... how do i "switch
> > back to stock 2.2.16-3" ?
>
> Have you ever compiled a kernel on this system?  That's what I'm
> referring to.
>
> FYI, _all_ stock kernels from RH 6.0 - 6.2 including all errata kernels
> include firewalling ie. ipchains support.  So, if you really did do as you
> said, there should be no problems at all.
>
> That's why it'd seem to be that
>  - you've compiled your own kernel without the support, or
>  - you're using RH70 or RH5x with a kernel that doesn't do this at least
> directly

None of the advanced routing features (multiple routing tables,
fwmark/tos marking, etc) are turned on in the stock 6.x kernels.

The 2.2.16-22 kernel in rh7.0 does have all this enabled, and I'm
using it on 6.x systems now without any problems.  Except that the
kernel-source package doesn't (didn't) compile.

But ipchains will complain if routing isn't enabled before creating
any rules or chains for the main forward chain.  You need to do it
with /sbin/sysctl (and /etc/sysctl.conf), or:

        echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Cheers
Tony