I find myself in a situation where I badly need to do NFS uid/gid
remapping between two redhat 6.2 boxes that are currently using
knfsd for NFS directory sharing.

exports(5) says that it is possible to do uid/gid remapping, with
all sorts of great solutions.

However, this is obviously NOT describing knfsd, where the docs say
that "uid/gid mapping and other functionalities which require access
to DNS, NIS, NIS+ and other user-space services are not supported."

Hmm.  Is there another solution available that will allow me to do
what I want?  Hmmm... is there a user-space daemon that I can use
instead?  (Or has that been competely removed from the
distribution?)

  (BTW, security _is_ a concern as both boxes have "public" IP
  addresses).

Thanks.

(Apologies is this has been answered in some place I haven't
discovered or noticed yet...)

Cheers
Tony