On 8 Jan 2001, Anand Palaniswamy wrote:

> - printtool is now gone.  You should make printool a symlink to
>   lprngtool.

Agreed.

> - /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_drv.o needs an upgrade.  It
>   doesn't work with Matrox G450/dual head/16MB.  Accepting the license
>   agreement at
>     http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/files/linux_04.cfm
>   gets you:
>     ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/archive/linux/2001/beta_1_00_04/mga_drv.o
>   which makes the G450 work.

No way. We don't ship anything that is not open source.
What tells you this module does anything other than sending your
/etc/shadow to [EMAIL PROTECTED]? How do you port it to different
architectures? What do you do when you want to update you glibc?

> - To run XFree86-4 (as opposed to the XFree86_SVGA which is 3.3.x), I
>   had to
>
>         # rm /etc/X11/X
>         # ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 X
>         # chmod +s /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86

You could just have run ./Xconfigurator --preferxf4

Making the X server setuid root is never a good idea.

>   Is there a way to use the Xwrapper mechanism to run XFree86-4
>   instead of doing the chmod I did?

Xconfigurator --preferxf4 does the job for you.

> - Suprised by IDE drivers always being loaded as modules in the newer
>   kernel RPMs.

This was necessary primarily to make it possible to update the IDE drivers
to support odd chipsets on certain hardware.

> Mozilla appears usable now.

And so is konqueror - 7.1 will have at least 4 usable open source browsers
(Mozilla, konqueror, lynx, links).

LLaP
bero