Hi, Matt,

     Thanks for the explanation!  It works well as far as I can tell.  I
needed to modify the fisher version of updkmaps to point to
/lib/kbd/keymaps where the info now resides.

     However, I've run into a brick wall that I knew was always waiting on
the floppy.  Does anyone know how to load the initrd from a second disk?
I've looked everywhere I can think of.  The documentation doesn't come
right out and say it, but it seems that the kernel and initrd have to be
on
the same device.  Any ideas out there?

          Bill in Denver