I want to see which all procedures (functions) get called in the kernel
(including those in the IP & TCP up to the application program) when ppp packets
get passed between my machine and another machine.

I came to know that the printk() function logs this info into /var/log/messages.
I heard that some of the printk() are enclosed within #ifdef DEBUG  & #endif
statements. How do I set this DEBUG 'on' so that I can see the log messages? I
mean do I need to run linux with some Debug=on argument or write down Debug=on
in some configuration file or somewhere else?

Thanks,
citl