Hi all,
I'm having a few problem with a Squid web cache server running RH6.2
with a 2.2.16-3 Kernel

The system is a pentium II 350Mhz with 512Mbytes of RAM and 24Gbytes of
disk space. It runs squid 2.3 and i also use ipchaines to redirect any
requests to port 80 to the web cahe port on 3128. Elsewhere in our
network I redirect web requests to port 80 on the above server.

The kenel is compile with large socket buffers and I have modified
the rmem_default,wmem_default,rmem_max and wmem_max  parameters to try
and increase the number of socket buffers available. ( As far as I can
see, in order to gfet > 32K of buffers you have to set the default
parameters to be > 64K )

Anyway,

when I do a netstat -s, under the TCPExt section I geet a large number
of "packets dropped from out-of-order queue because of socket buffer
overrun"

and some "packets prunes from  receive queue because of socket buffer
overrun"

So .....

1). on solaris netstat -a gives you a list of connections plus the
buffer sizes negotiated for each connection. On linux, setting these
buffer sizes seems to be a black art as I can't find any way of finding
out what is used. I *think* I've set them up correctly, but there
doesn't seem to be a way of finding out.... unless someone knows
otherwise

2). One web page suggested changing the contents of a header file and
recompiling the kernel  so that the requested buffer size isn't scaled
down by 2. Isd this my only option to increase these buffers over the
32K limit?

3). Is there anywhere else I should be looking to get rid of these
overrun problems

4). Does the 2.4 kernel have any improvements in this area?

Any help appreciated
alex

Alex Sharaz
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

* This e-mail message was sent with Execmail V5.1 *