On Tue Apr 10 2001 at 11:25, Todd Harrington wrote:

> Is anyone familiar with any networking switches that provide 3 or 4 separate
> routing tables and let you dedicate a fixed number of ports to each routing
> table? So you can dedicate a routing table to a group of ethernet ports.

I'm more familiar with linux than routing switches... are you asking
if linux can do this sort of thing too?

Linux can use multiple (256) routing tables (some are reserved, eg,
"main"), which ones are being used and why is a matter of "routing
policy".

  Eg, if a packet is a destination port 80 packet, then send it to a
  routing table that has a default path pointing to one place.  If a
  destination port 25 packet comes in, then send it for processing
  by another routing table that sends it in another direction
  (perhaps a path for lower priority traffic).

  That's just a tiny example.  What you can do with it is up to you,
  all the buttons and leavers are there make it work in all sorts of
  ways.  Add to that all the amazing ip_filter stuff in the 2.4.x
  kernels...

Have a look at the iproute package, which has /sbin/ip and /sbin/tc
in it -- these are the new user interfaces into the *real* routing
power of the linux kernel.  The documentation that comes with it
isn't brilliant, but certainly good enough to get you on the way.

AFAIK, none of the "standard" redhat kernels have any of the
advanced routing code enabled... you'll have to compile your own if
you want to use any of the more advanced routing stuff (like route
queue disciplines, fwmark/TOS and so on).

Is it time for a kernel-router rpm?  That would be SO useful!

Cheers
Tony
  LinuxWorks for networking   : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Consultant, GrowZone OnLine : [EMAIL PROTECTED]