(I'm CC'ing this email to Preston Brown - but just in case..)

Hi,

For people who buy and use VMWare latest product - VMWare workstation 3.0 -
there is awaiting a special surprise if they happend to use Redhat 7.X..

When the user runs the "vmware-config" script - the following message comes:

"As of October 2001, Gcc 2.96 is not yet a supported compiler by the Linux
kernel development team. Have a look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes
to get the correct compiler installed. This script will take into
consideration the CC environment variable. Do you want to go with gcc version
2.96 compiler ? [no]"

As you and I know - Redhat had their "fights" with people & the community
back then when GCC 2.96 came out, and as much as I know - GCC 2.96 works
great with the kernel 2.4.x

This message clearly will confuse and end user who cannot do anything about
it (installing kgcc is not an option for many users who don't know how to
change variables), and IMHO clearly un-necessary...

Could someone from Red Hat talk to the people of VMWare about it? I think the
gcc 2.96 is already a moot point...

Hetz