> > Support contracts are not that profitable (I know, I was in the
> business)..
>
> Ahem... Maybe you weren't a very good salesman.  I think that RedHat is
> doing very well considering that they are giving away GPL product.
>
> Considering the alternative (M$) who charges for the product and then
> charges more for supporting, many corporation's CFO's are starting to see
> the value in RH.
>
> Plus, they have to give it away... that's the double-edged sword that
> GPL/opensource cutting.

GPL allows RH to charge a fee for supplying the product. It doesn't HAVE to give
it away, though I could buy a set and run them off (like Cheapbytes) or mount
them on my ftp server for all to download.

It can limit that by including non-free essential software (consider YaST from
SuSE). Just how effective that would be is hard to guess - probably some band of
helpful souls would create a replacement.

A shorter day may well work. It's nice to have a set of CDs, and at present I
can download a fair bit before the distribution channels are up to speed. I'm
much more likely to buy a boxed set if it's the fasted way to get it, and at
present that's not so.

There's also a problem in the retail outlets - if they can download it once and
run off copies to sell cheaply at twice the gross profit of a boxed set, there's
bot a lot of point to them to push the boxed set.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
        be right!