maybe a better place would be the mysql folks. Theymight be able to tell you if the default configuration under Linux is with threads ( server & client ). And if there is a choice, how can one tell what one has.
If they cant tellwhat u have, then maybe a build would be good for your state of mind.

/gat
BTW most, if not all Linux libs are thread safe - at least there is code there to insure that various parts are thread safe( like malloc ). This does not mean, however, that the mysql libs are thread-safe. The mysql docs for linux installation may be what you should be reviewing in case this is to be a business/performence test.

James Olin Oden wrote:

Hi All,

We are porting an application to Linux from Solaris that is threaded and uses mysql. On Solaris we would link against the
thread safe/blessed libmysqlclient_r. None of the RedHat RPM's seem to
come with this library? Is it unnecessary under linux or do we need to build our own mysql libraries? Note we are using Advanced Server 2.1, so if it the library is in 8.0, it may not be in AS 2.1.

Thanks...james