I'm using afterstep right now so I'm not sure it applies to you, but the file
that defines wether a Mail icon appears on the wharf bar is located in
/etc/X11/Afterstep/fvwm2rc.modules  If you copy that file to your home
directory as .fvwm2rc.modules  You can edit it to your preference.  Theres an
Xmailbox (I think its Xmailbox) also defined in the wharf bar which indicates
if you have new mail.  I don't know if you system will be identical to mine as
I'm running Redhat 5.0 installed from scratch.

Gook luck,
Alan.