On Fri, 15 May 1998, David Villeger wrote:

> I'd prefer Linux as I think it has better features and better
> performance. However, I heard that Linux compares _very_ poorly with
> FreeBSD as an NFS client.

I wouldn't say that it compares VERY poorly.  The 2.0 kernel is a lot
faster than it used to be.  The 2.2 kernel will be faster yet, probably as
good as anybody else.  Right at the moment I would probably say that
FreeBSD has a slight performance edge, but really ALL NFS clients are
pretty inferior when compared to Sun's.  So don't avoid Linux just for the
NFS performance.  Linux has a history of catching up pretty fast whenever
it lags behind in just about any area.  :)