On Fri, 15 May 1998, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi,
>       I'm trying to figure out what popd and
>       pushd functions are for.   Since they are
>       build into practically every shell, I

They implement a directory stack.

Basically, this means that if you are in some wierd place, such as
/tmp/wow/how/are/you/i/am/fine :) then you can get back to where
you were by using pushd instead of a plain cd. Then a popd will get you
back to where you started from.

like:

# pushd /path/to/tortuous/directory/here
# do some stuff in here
# popd   back to where we started from.

These can be nested, of course.

They can be very useful sometimes, too. :)