The redhat update DOES NOT fix the problem.  I have tested this exploit
against the absolute latest bind RPM's from ftp.redhat.com, and that
version IS VULNERABLE, or I would not have posted this.  This vulnerability
is affecting systems across the Internet, and I think it should be
seriously looked into.

At 12:32 AM 5/19/98 +0200, you wrote:
>On 18-May-98 W. Bryan Caudle wrote:
>>  Has anyone out there found an RPM for bind 4.9.7?  We have had some
>>  attacks
>>  on bind 4.9.6-7 (latest RPM from RedHat) and I am told that 4.9.7
>>  supposedly fixes the problem.  I have contacted RedHat, but have gotten
>>  no
>>  response (GRRR...).
>>  This is apparently a CERT reported vulnerability, and I would expect
>>  RedHat
>>  to have taken some action and built an updated RPM to solve this
>>  serious
>>  security problem that allows root access to any machine running named.
>>  have tried compiling from source, but without any luck.  Any help would
>>  be
>>  greatly appreciated.
>
>Redhat published an update just before the CERT announce.

W. Bryan Caudle
President
Commonwealth Technical Services, Inc.
Voice: 804-639-5400    Fax: 804-739-7007
http://www.ctsi.net