As Netscape 4.04 crashed, and KDE was acting strangely, and xv crashed
when I tried to load in an image a couple of megs large, I started to
wonder...

"Have I enough memory to partake in such technology?"
"32 megs ought to be enough, right?"  I scratch my head and go to a
terminal and type "free"

Here's what I get:

[root@slacker /]# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:         30844      30492        352      26236        192
11032
-/+ buffers/cache:      19268      11576
Swap:            0          0          0
[root@slacker /]# exit

"Holey FreeHolies!" I scream to myself.  "Zero swap space?!?"  I could
have sworn that I formatted a swap partition when I installed this bad
boy.

This would also explain why my swap bar in xosview is *always* green,
showing 0% used. :)

Hmm... I coulda swore I partitioned a swap drive...
wonder if there really is a swap drive left on that disk...
[root@slacker /]# /sbin/fdisk /dev/hdb

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 523 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1   *        1        1      127  1020096    6  DOS 16-bit >=32M

/dev/hdb2          128      128      523  3180870    5  Extended
/dev/hdb5          128      128      134    56196   83  Linux native
/dev/hdb6          135      135      326  1542208+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M

/dev/hdb7          327      327      514  1510078+  83  Linux native
/dev/hdb8          515      515      523    72261   82  Linux swap

Command (m for help): q
[root@slacker /]# exit

Okay, so I have this Linux swap partition that is just sitting there
unused, unloved, not swapping, idle!

A thorough read through the man pages (using apropros) I didn't find
anything relevant.  Curse the program!  It should have understood when I
wrote "apropos swap MIA"

the /usr/doc directory didn't contain anything about "missing swap
partitions" So I went to the RedHat site:  In the little search area
box, I typed "swap partition".

Got all sorts of neat information on how to install the swap space
WHEN INSTALLING RH FOR THE FIRST TIME, but evidently they [Hart, et all]
didn't expect somebody to do something as boneheaded as I must have
done, (but haven't a clue what I did to do this)

I thoroughly read the man page for mount, but there appears to be no
procedure for mounting a swap drive (is this how you do it?)

Someone please 'splain to me what I need to do!
TIA.