On 20-May-98 Matt Housh wrote:

>       As a side note here, I've got a question related to the telnet/ftp
> time problems. On my lan at home, when I have my workstation set up on the
> localnet, with just the ethernet card, the routes look something like:
>
> Destination   GW              Genmask         Flags   Metric  Ref     U Iface
> 192.168.1.0   *               255.255.255.0   U       0       0       0 eth0
> 127.0.0.0     *               255.0.0.0       U       0       0       0 lo
> default               192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG      0       0
0 eth0

>       When I telnet or ftp to the gateway, it times out for a minute
> something, then connects. However, if I REMOVE the default route on the
> workstation, it works instantly. Anyone?

Because with the default route available, your machine attempts to probe the
rest of the other networks it can reach, which takes time.  Your machine can
determine the exact number of hosts on the local network, and therefore only has
to wait a finite amount of time.

Make sure your nameserver is correctly listed in /etc/resolv.conf, and you
should be fine.  Don't forget that the remote machine is also interested in
knowing who is making the connection, so make sure the remote machine can
resolve your hostname.

Dave