Hello Hoe-Tech Wee:
                             I edited the interface as suggested. No
difference.
I tried to edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ppp0 but was advised: No
such file or directory
I found USERCTL= in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-pppo and it was
already marked as =yes.
Undaunted I typed as user  /sbin/ifup ppp0 and received:
netmask: Unknown host
usage: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-routes <net-device>
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post: [ : too many arguments

All efforts for naught. I thank you for your time and interest.

Cordially, R Arab