> BTW, who handles the MAN pages for rlogin and rsh?  Right now, I can't
> get rsh to work for me ("Permission denied").  Isn't creating a
> .rhosts file enough?  This could be described better in the MAN pages.

There's more to it for the root user.

     8.   Rshd then validates the user using ruserok(3),  which uses the file
          /etc/hosts.equiv and the .rhosts file found in the user's home di-
          rectory. The -l option prevents ruserok(3) from doing any validation
          based on the user's ``.rhosts'' file (unless the user is the supe-
          ruser and the -h option is used.) If the -h option is not used, su-
          peruser accounts may not be accessed via this service at all.

Use ssh instead.  It's much easier to use, provides more functionality, and is
secure.  Find it at ftp://ftp.replay.com.

Too tired to comment on the rest of your bash questions.. :P

Dave