Once upon a time Michael wrote:

> Hi folks !
>
> I'm a bit curious about what other linux-users think about KDE being
> built on non-free libs.
> The reasson I'm asking is that, apparanty, more and more people
> are reccomending KDE and due to the license of the qt-libs one
> might fear that this will mean the end to linux as we know it, with the
> GNU Public Licence. Aren't there any other linux-users who are fearing
> these tendencies in the linux-community ?
> Besides the GNOME-project, what other steps are being taken to avoid
> this situation (maby someone is working on making Trolltech comply to
> the GNU PL) ?

Well, Trolltech have released a free version of qt. It is not GPL'ed
and you may not change it, but it *is* free in the sense that you
don't have to pay for it and it may be freely distributed further.

(See http://www.troll/no/qtfree.html for more details).

For myself, I'm not worried. Just glad to have KDE on *my* desktop.

--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
|Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |