I just installed redhat5.0 on friday and am trying to get xwindows running
with xfree86.  I have never done anything like this so I'm just trying to
follow the instructions but seem to have done something wrong.  From what I
read, I thought I only had to run "Xconfigurator" and then "startx" and
I would be all set.  However, when I did that, I got alot of error messages
ending with:

** A configured device found, but display modes could not be resolved **
Fatal server error:
no screens found
When resolving a problem related to a server crash, please send the full
server output, not just the last messages.
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error.

Part of the problem could be that I found very little info on my video
card, so I chose "Unlisted Card" from the list in Xconfigurator.  The only
info on the card was:

VB-SIS-AGP-4MB
3D PRO SIS 6316
and what looks like a serial number

The company that sold me the PC told me that the card was made by Trident
and had 4MB of memory but couldn't be more specific.

I also have an unlisted monitor (LiteOn CM1566) but have the specs from it
and filled those in appropriately I think.

I'm currently looking for answers on the web but any hints about how to edit
the XF86Config file or anything else would be greatly appreciated.

Also, once I figure this part out, I want to know how to set things up so
that X starts up immediately upon login.  On my Sun system, I have a .login
file that xinits a .Xsession file.  Do I do something similar with linux??

Stacy

--
Stacy Brodzik           INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

University of Washington
Dept of Atmospheric Sciences
Box 351640
Seattle, WA  98195-1640