felix k sheng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> can anyone point me in the direction of more information on getting
> 4 button mice to work w/ x?  i haven't seen anything on that, except
> for some clues in the wheel-mouse faq.  i'd like to be able to map
> a fourth button click to be the same as alt or ctrl - is that possible?
>
> thanks for any info.

Hi.

I am using a four button logitech mouseman on the ps/2 port here, and it
works great. It also did work great when I used it on the serial port.

The trick was to set the following in the /etc/X11/XF86Config file:

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "MouseManPlusPS/2"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"
    Buttons 6

Setting buttons to "4" or "5" did not work. Strange stuff! :)

Anyway from there on it is up to another program (such as your window
manager) to map the button to something. I have managed to do this under
AfterStep and FVWM2. I also tried under KDE, but it didn't work.

I am currently using afterstep, and have configured the fourth button to
move or raise windows no matter where in the window I click (including
buttons and such). If I click in the root window, a root-menu (one of
four) pops up. The lines to do this is as follows:

Mouse 4         R       A       WindowList 2
Mouse 4         WTFIS   A       Function "Move-or-Top"

These lines goes into your feel.foo file.

I am not sure how you would go about mapping the mouse button to act
like the ctrl or alt key however, but at least now you are halfway
there. :)

kjetil
--
Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for public PGP key.