From:   Con Zymaris [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Saturday, May 30, 1998 5:30 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: httpd access from Win95

> Could someone tell me how I would configure my Win95 machine (Netscape) to connect
>to my Linux to run/access my http server ?  Ie., run html files on my linux system ?
>
> I know that in theory, I need to open a tcp/ip connection with port 80 over my net,
>but not sure how to get Netscape/Win95 to open such a connection.
>
> I have telnet working, thanks...  I reviewed the samba docs, but it doesn't seem
>necessary to install these to do the above...
>
> (httpd is installed and loads at boot up)
>
> Thanks guys,

In theory, if you have telnet working from your Win95 box to Linux, and
httpd is loaded at boot, you should be able to just point your browser
on Win95 to your linux system. The only tricky things occur when firewalls
and proxy servers are involved. Do you have DNS (name resolution)
established? If yes, let's presume your linux box is called 'linux'
then http://linux/ from your Win95 browser should work. If no DNS or
LMHOSTS file has been configured on your Win95 system, http://ip.ip.ip.ip/
(where ip.ip etc is your Linux box's ip address of course ;-) will do the
trick.

con