Brian,
That nothing to worry about, you could even live with it, but since it's
not nice:
there is a file /etc/conf.modules, which is used by modprobe on startup to
look for modules that should be loaded give information to them ...
I'm not sure when it is generated, at some point definitly because it
changed on my box without me being involved editing it ( did you make
modules and modules_install?). Anyway you can edit it by hand , there
should be a line with
alias net-pf-4 ...
and you should change it to
alias net-pf-4 off
same for ppp0, if this is not actually the module which is aliased to
net-pf-4 .
good luck,
Clemens

Clemens Adler                 e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Institut fuer Kernphysik
Universitaet Frankfurt               office phone:  069-798-24285
August-Euler-Strasse 6
60486 Frankfurt