After spending several hours over many days trying to solve this problem,
I'm willing to ask for help.  I downloaded the socks5-v1.0r5 rpms from the
RedHat ftp site (pub/contrib/...).  After installing, everything seems to
work except runsocks. The error is:

Trying 208.221.102.252...
telnet: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/local/lib//libsocks5_sh.so: undefined symbol: fstat

Ok. I went to socks.nec.com and found the source and a patch for redhat
5.0.  I applied the patch, added -lc to the shlib Makefile, and remade the
shared library - libsocks5_sh.so.  Now all I get are seg faults.  Is there
a new rpm somewhere with fixes the fstat problem or has anyone else been
able to compile the shared library and use runsocks on 5.0?

Thanks,

Chris