  kt> I'm sure I've seen references to this, but grepping averywhere
  kt> hasn't helped.

  kt> We have two Linux boxen but a single DAT Drive. Where do I start
  kt> looking to make this tape drive available to the other box?

1) Make sure that rsh connections can be made from the tapeless
   machine to the other:-
   # rsh otherbox pwd
   /root
   #

2) You can now use the remote-tape facilities of tar and dump:-
   # tar cfv otherbox:/dev/st0 /etc
   /etc/passwd
   /etc/shadow
   [...]

3) Be aware that this soesn't work with mt, and you would have to do
   # rsh otherbox mt -f $TAPE fsf
   (Note that here $TAPE is expanded by the local machine)

If you want to avoid allowing root to rsh from one machine to the
other, you can use a pipe and either something like
                "su specialuser -c 'rsh womble /sbin/rmt /dev/st0"
or use SSH (see ftp.replay.com) to do this.