I have a general question about TCP/IP interfacing.  Does the receiver
*HAVE* to signal the sender that the packet has gotten through?  What
about any choke point along the path fromt he sender to the reciever.
How does the choke point say "whoa!  I'm overloaded!  Slow down!"?

For serial devices, its easy, you just lower RTS.  But how does a
packet of data do this?

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:13:25 -0400 (EDT), William T Wilson wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Wim Raets wrote:
>
>> The solution:
>> If I could somehow make my PC wait 'a few seconds, but not to long'
>> before responding to the server, the throughput would drop. Because the
>> server has to wait for the confirmation before sending the next packet.
>
>This is probably a bad solution.  If the server does not hear from you
>quickly enough, it resends the packet, assuming it got lost or mangled
>somewhere along the way.  Therefore a solution like you propose, while it
>would be able to adjust throughputs, would mostly lower your total
>bandwidth, not reallocate it.  So it is probably not what you want.

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence
NerdWorld.net
(A Vorlon Information Technologies Company)