r> Dear list readers:
r>                   I would like to use "talk". "Write" works OK but no
r> "talk". Below is the response from entering the command "talk" name.

Talk works like talk [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Therefore you either need to do a talk you@localhost to talk to
yourself, or the other persons loginname@hisdomainname

r> [rarab@localhost rarab]$ talk james
r> talk: localhost.localdomain: Unknown host
r> =============================================================================
r> I have fetchmail 4.3.2 and would like to use it. However when I type:

r> [rarab@localhost rarab]$ fetchmail -V
r> gethostbyname failed for localhost.localdomain[rarab@localhost rarab]$

r> is the response.
r> I have .fetchmailrc in my home directory.
r> I admit that neither of these problems constitute a strategic impediment
r> to operating Linux but it would be fun to have these things working.

This looks like your version of fetchmail is bad or can't determine
the local hostname.
What happens when you issue the command 'hostname' ?

Have you setup the hostname on your local machine, if not edit
/etc/HOSTNAME and /etc/sysconfig/network to add the hostname or
use the GUI depending on what version of RedHat you are using.

--
Curtis Consulting
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]