On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, KThorpe wrote:

> Can anyone point me to a sensible discussion on writing RPC servers?
>
> I want to call database subroutines on my Linux box from Windows clients
> over the internet. I'm looking at DCOM for Linux, but it's a case of using a
> steamroller to crack a peanut (what do you expect from something M$ has
> designed). Any suggestions on how to write the Windows end would be welcome
> too, but that's not your problem.

Visit http://www.linas.org/linas/corba.html - cross platform stuff is even
cooler. You might especially want to look at OmniORB, which builds/runs on
UNIX's as well as Windows 95/NT.

Hope this helps,
-- Elliot
When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather...
        ...not yelling and screaming like the people in the back of the
           plane he was flying.