"Jack Hatfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am trying to print some files from my linux box to a Panasonic  KX-P2123
> color dot-matrix printer.
>
> Does anyone know the right commands to put in the printcap file, or some
> other method to print into this box. I do not care about this printing color
> at all.

You will have to read the printers manual and see which printers it
emulates. You will probably need to use the epson or epsonc (colour)
driver.

If these are you drivers then you'll probably need something like
this in your /etc/printcap file:

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL epsonc 180x180 a4 {} EpsonLQ24 Default {}
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL epson 180x180 a4 {} Epson24 Default {}
lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter:
##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL epson 360x180 a4 {} Epson24 Default {}
lp1:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp1:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp1/filter:

You'll need to make the spool directories.

> Also, if it is easier to print to my winblows 98 HP 722, let me know that. I
> am such a nitwit knowing this stuff, I have read book after book and looked
> thru archives and cannot find the answers to printcap file commands.

Don't know.

> Please somebody.......
>
> Don't say go into Xwindows either, read the "Jagged Blue Line" problems and
> see if you can get me there.

Go to X-Windows, read my "Jagged Blue Line" solutions. If you get X
working (just updating metro-x is the simplest way) then you can use
printtool to setup your /etc/printcap file.

> Oh, Redhat 4.2 Intel 200 128 MB RAM, Pana.. well you know the printer.

Don't forget to apply the updates to 4.2.

--
Eze Ogwuma