On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Woody wrote:

->I can't agree with you more!!! That's been my opinion for a loooong
->time....get it into the stores...get those Windows apps converted for the
->Linux users and watch em' come a flockin' to a better, and more robust
->operating system.....

*** Hi Woody, hi everybody,

I'm not sure the point is to get *everybody* to Linux! I think what should
be done is make Linux a bit more accessible to people who are interested,
who are serious and who have valid arguments for using it... Getting
anybody to use Linux is the best way to get it at the same level as
Windows: It's so full with "thingies" to help everybody that it doesn't
work anymore. If you want to know what it looks like when "everybody" uses
an OS, just subscribe to a Windows 95 list and your hair will raise. Mine
did at least: First thing I got in my inbox was a thread (240 messages)
about how to change the name of the Recycle Bin in the registry. Sorry,
but not for me.

Coming back to the accessibility of Linux, I admit that there are
probably things that could be done, but then again, it took me six months
with a book, this list and the stuff between my ears to figure things out.
I think that's acceptable. How long does it take you to learn how to drive
(no not just get the license!), write, appreciate good books, a good
film...? It took me 8 months to figure out NT and I still had to look up
things in a book. I configured a dial-up connection with my ISP in Linux
much faster than I did with NT. Compare the making of a script in KDE/kppp
and in NT...

Getting some of the Windows appl. converted - but not all - is okay,
provided it's done properly. Another Windows prog port a la Communicator
is a good example of how it's not supposed to be done. It got ported so
"well", it kept the same bugs that were known in the Windows version.

Zoki.

 %% Fin de message / End of message %%