On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, bob jones wrote:

I use the 4/8 gig traven on SCSI.  Have for a long time - no hitches as
far as Linux is concerned.  Everything works that I've every used.  No
special anything.  Just compile the kernel with SCSI tape support, use
/dev/MAKEDEV script and fire away.

I did have one hardware failure.  Seagate replaced it on warrantee.

I've heard of problems with other interfaces than SCSI.  Those may have
been taken car of and I don't know what they were.

Check the price of the tapes though.  It can be a shocker ;-)

 > To anyone who responds to this, thanks in advance. >
> Iomega markets a tape called "DittoMax" which uses either an external
> parallel port or an "internal" card interface.
>
> Seagate markets a tape cartridge called "Travan" which in large
> capacities uses a SCSI interface and in small capacities uses a
> "floppy/parallel" interface.
>
> Are any RH Linux systems out there using either of these for backups?
> If so,is the software Iomega or Seagate marketed or is it the standard
> tar of cpio of Linux/Unix?
>
> bob jones  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

                  (  @ @  )
Red Hat Linux!   Where I really went today!
Please send personal replies to: