I am a UNIX advocate, but I would have to agree that UNIX lags behind
DOS/W$ applications for the desktop.  There are only a limited number of
commercial applications available for the desktop, but the lists of
supported applications grows each day.  You can attempt to get a Windows
emulation running, but not all programs are supported.

However, when it comes to a server system, UNIX/Linux beats W$ hands down.
You get support for numerous services (telnet,ftp,rlogin,web,and many
more).  You get more development tools, compilers, and debuggers than I
could name.  To equip a W$ with equivilent software and appilities would
cost a fortune.

UNIX is very reliable.  Any time I've tried to get W$ to run a complex
application, it dies within a few days.  UNIX is much more satble than
Windows.

Until high quality desktop applications are available for LINUX, it will
lag behind W$ on the desktop.  If W$ were ever reliable, scaleable, and
less expensive, it would then compete with UNIX for high-end server
applications.

| Bryan Swann ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  803/566-0086   803/554-0015 (Fax)          |
| Eagan McAllister Associates, Inc.                                        |
|  "Everything must be working perfectly, cause I don't smell any smoke"   |