On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Bradley, Greg wrote:
>After you boot the kernel, you can run any number of PROGRAMS to provide
>the functionality required, getty,  bash etc might be useful here.

How?  The kernel starts init (an external program), which in turn
starts getty (an external program), which in turn starts login (an
external program), which in turn starts bash (an external program).
If init doesn't exist or can't be executed, the kernel will panic and
halt the system.

>The act of running the program is an acceptance of user input.

Huh?

>The kernel manages memory and autoboots, so it handles peripherals.

Faulty logic.  Memory and booting have nothing to do with peripherals.
A machine can boot and address memory without any peripherals connected.
When your system boots, I'm willing to bet that it spends more time
on executing tasks *after* starting init than before.  Unless you're
willing to say that all post-init tasks (e.g. fsck, ifconfig) are not
part of the boot process, I suggest you rethink your argument.

[...]
>Would you class win95 running word as a different os to win95 running
>wordperfect?

I'm curious: what one file constitutes the Windows 95 operating system?
This should be interesting.

--
    Steve Coile