On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Bijaya Hamal wrote:
[...]
>But I get this message when I boot the new Kernel  as Kernel Panic :
>This is what it looks like :-
>eth0:NE2000 found at 0X300 , using IRQ3
>VFS:Cannot open root device 03:02
>Kernel panic VFS : unable to mount root fs on 03:02

I suspect a problem with your /etc/lilo.conf file.  Each kernel stanza in
my lilo.conf file has a "root=" line that identifies the root filesystem
for the kernel.  Check your lilo.conf file and make sure that the "root="
line correctly identifies your boot partition.  If not, change it and
rerun /sbin/lilo.

One way to test whether the root filesystem is the problem is
to explicitly identify the root partition at the "LILO:" prompt.
For instance:

    LILO: linux root=/dev/hda3

This would instruct the kernel to use /dev/hda3 (the third partition on
the first IDE hard drive) as the root filesystem.

--
    Steve Coile